Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Michael Sweet | Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD

"I first got introduced to ATPE while I was at an in-service at the Region 1 Service Center. We were at a social studies training, and I noticed that there was one person who stood out in the group. That person was Maria Elena Ingram. She seemed very confident and passionate and was recruiting teachers to join ATPE and was trying to talk those who were already involved in ATPE to be involved in their local units. I don't know exactly what happened, but she came over to our table and started talking to me and told me that she had noticed me in our meetings for the social studies collaborative and that not only did I need to be in ATPE, but that ATPE needed me. She continued to tell me what ATPE offered and why I should join. Needless to say, I switched over that very day. She continued to talk to me at other meetings we had and motivated me to become involved in my local and to run for region office. To this day I continue to be involved with my local unit and have won Campus Rep of the Year and Newsletter of the Year awards for ATPE. I must say I owe my ATPE life to Maria Elena."

No comments: